The .pharmacy Tdomain will be available to pharmacies and other entities offering prescription drugs or prescription drug-related products, services, or information via the Internet, subject to their completion of the registrant application and approval process to establish compliance with all applicable laws and .pharmacy program standards.
The application and approval process includes vetting by NABP prior to registration to ensure that they meet all applicable regulatory standards, including those addressing pharmacy licensure and valid prescription requirements. Eligible registrants will demonstrate good standing and compliance with the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are based, as well as in all jurisdictions in which they conduct business, including without limitation dispensing or shipping prescription medications in or to a jurisdiction.
The core standards that must be met to be eligible to register a .pharmacy domain name follow:
- Licensure. An applicant, as well as community members to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must possess all necessary licenses, registrations, or permits to practice in all required jurisdictions. This includes not only the jurisdiction where the entity is located, but also any jurisdiction where its patients or customers reside. All such licenses, registrations, or permits must be in good standing.
- Prior discipline. An applicant, as well as any community members to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must not have been subject to significant recent and/or repeated disciplinary sanctions.
- Location. An applicant, as well as community members to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must be domiciled in the US or in a country with a .pharmacy National Standard Setting Committee, or in a country that has established an understanding with NABP that will allow non-US .pharmacy applicant evaluations to be performed by NABP.
- Validity of prescription. A pharmacy shall dispense or offer to dispense prescription drugs only upon receipt of a valid prescription, as defined by the applicable jurisdictions. A valid prescription is one issued pursuant to a legitimate patient-prescriber relationship, as defined by the applicable jurisdictions.
- Legal compliance. An applicant, as well as community members to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must comply with all provisions of jurisdictional law, including laws addressing regulatory agency approval of prescription medication.
- Privacy. If the applicant website, or any site to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, maintains or transmits patient health information, the information must be maintained or transmitted in accordance with jurisdictional patient information privacy and security laws, including those addressing notice to patients regarding privacy and security of such information.
- Patient services. An applicant pharmacy, medical or veterinary practice, medical or veterinary practitioner, or any such practice or practitioner to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must provide on the website an accurate street address of the dispensing pharmacy, medical practice, medical practitioner, or corporate headquarters. The applicant pharmacy, medical practice, medical practitioner, or any such practice or practitioner to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must provide on the website an accurate, readily accessible and responsive phone number or secure mechanism via the website, allowing patients to contact or consult with a pharmacist or medical practitioner regarding complaints or concerns or in the event of a possible adverse event involving their medication.
- Website transparency. An applicant, as well as community members to which the applicant site links or with which it is affiliated, must not engage in practices or extend offers on its website that may deceive or defraud patients as to any material detail regarding the practice, its staff, prescription drugs, or financial transactions.
- Domain name registration. The domain name registration information of the applicant website, or of any community member it promotes, must be accurate, and the domain name registrant must have a logical nexus to the dispensing pharmacy, medical or veterinary practice, or medical or veterinary practitioner. Applicant websites utilizing anonymous domain name registration services will not be eligible for approval.
- Affiliated websites. The applicant website, any community member it promotes, its staff, domain name registrants, and any person or entity that exercises control over, or participates in the applicant business, must not be affiliated with or control any other website that violates these standards.
All .pharmacy registrants must meet these core standards. Registration within the .pharmacy domain is open to eligible entities in any country, subject to verification of compliance with .pharmacy standards. Additional jurisdiction-specific standards may apply to registrants based in or serving customers in other jurisdictions.