.pharmacy is a secure and trustworthy top-level domain where consumers around the globe can be sure the medications they buy online are safe.
Why do we need .pharmacy?
Today, the vast majority of websites selling prescription drugs online are doing so illegally — many of them selling unapproved, substandard, and counterfeit medicine. NABP has reviewed nearly 11,500 internet drug outlets selling prescription medications and found 96% to be out of compliance with United States pharmacy laws and practice standards that protect the public health. Of these websites identified as Not Recommended, nearly half offer foreign or non-Food and Drug Administration-approved drugs, and many distribute dangerous counterfeits to unsuspecting consumers. Learn more about why buying online can be risky in the Buying Safely section or click on the button below to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter about the latest changes to the online pharmacy landscape.
Who may register .pharmacy domain names?
The following types of businesses are eligible to apply for approval to register a .pharmacy domain name.
- Human Pharmacy
- Veterinary pharmacy
- Pharmacy Benefit Management Company
- School or College of Pharmacy
- Continuing Pharmacy Education Provider
- Wholesale Drug Distributor
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturer
- Advocacy or Consumer Education Group
- Drug Information or Pharmacy Referral Site
- Pharmacy Association
- Medical Professionals Sites
- Pharmacy Consultant
- Pharmacy Automation Distributors
- Board of Pharmacy and Regulatory Agency
What are the benefits of having a .pharmacy domain?
Plenty! Obtain a .pharmacy domain name and:
- distinguish your online pharmacy, product, or service from thousands of rogue online drug sellers
- contribute to the protection of public health by helping consumers find legitimate online pharmacies and pharmacy resources
- enhance your brands by becoming part of an elite group
- become automatically eligible to advertise on Google, Bing (US and Canada), and Yahoo! (US and Canada) search engines
- be considered a legitimate pharmacy merchant by Visa for purchases associated with your website
Here's what some .Pharmacy customers have to say:
“It was easier than expected.”
“We are an online pharmacy and this is a great way to set us apart from rogue pharmacies.”
Just by seeing the .pharmacy domain, your audience will know that your website is legitimate and operating legally and meets standards set by a global coalition that includes International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) and NABP, which has supported the United States boards of pharmacy in their goal of protecting the public health since 1904.
How do I register a .pharmacy domain name?
All registrants within the .pharmacy TLD are vetted prior to registration to confirm that they meet all applicable regulatory standards, including pharmacy licensure and valid prescription requirements, in the jurisdictions where they are based and where they serve patients. Vetting includes evaluation for adherence to program standards, which includes a review of the website and required documentation, as well as verification of license(s), and other credentials. NABP is partnering with international regulators to evaluate international applicants for compliance with all relevant laws. For more information on registering a .pharmacy domain name, see the Apply section.
How can I stay safe online?
Unfortunately, there are many websites that are not operating in the best interest of patients. Buying from sites that offer too-good-to-be-true prices and access to medications with no prescription or medical oversight puts you and your loved ones at risk for receiving fake medication. You can avoid rogue Internet drug outlets by buying from websites with a .pharmacy domain name. In addition, it is important to educate yourself on the dangers of rogue pharmacy sites.